Saturday, June 8, 2019

Somewhere between disappointment and celebration


Two days ago, I was supposed to pack up Nicodemus and be on the road to meet my family in Washington State and rest at Holden Villiage for a week. It was a five day 2000 mile adventure that would make my heart sing. Months of planning, route discovery, campsites selected, gear purchased, and prayers asked for.....and yet, it did not come to fruition. Needless to say, this was THE aspect of sabattical that brought me excitement and joy. Nicodemus, however, struggled to make it to safe health before leaving (see recent post 'help').

After working diligently to fix the problem, It was not to be. This brought great disappointment.

Yesterday, I attended D's kindergarten graduation and potluck. It was a great day that was brought about between disappointment and celebration. So many families, teachers, administrators, teacher aides, and scholars gathered to celebrate their accomplishments over the past school year. However, this was the last time Blair Elementary would gather. It is closing this summer. So that is the disappointing part. Tears were surely shed when the students and teachers sang the school song 'we are Blair' for the last time. But then there was the party; kids running, parents laughing, teachers smiling.

I carry with me this theology of Holy Saturday. It is the day of In-Between; in between death and new life, in between disappointment and celebration. It is that to which we have been baptized, Jesus' death (disappointment) and Resurrection (celebration). In my life, I have experienced a firm foot in disappointment (like this week) and also with the other foot in celebration of new hoped-for outcomes. Life is a lot like that....somewhere between disappointment and celebration.

This painting hangs in my office as a reminder of God's life with us....somewhere between disappointment and celebration.
So, even in my disappointment of not riding Nicodemus out to Holden Villiage and experiencing 100 smiles per gallon, there will be other adventures ahead. I have been known to suggest that we need to stop mistaking methodology for mission. In this recent experience I am recognizing Holden Villiage as the mission and the 4000 mile trip as the methodology, maybe God is trying to tell me something.  How we do something is less important than the something that we do.

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.”

“No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.
- John 14:1-6


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holden Part 3 - Worship

"Everything on earth will  worship  you; they will sing your praises, shouting your name in glorious songs.” - Psalm 66:4 Let everyth...