Monday, June 10, 2019

Generous



Today was a day filled with our own version of planes, trains, and automobiles. We arrived in Chelan, WA for a pit stop for the day before a full week of retreat at Holden Village. 

Throughout the day generosity was shown to us.Generousity was gifted to us by our neighbors on the train who helped us carry all our stuff off the train and even took our picture. It was shown to us by the patience of the bus driver with all of our luggage (the passengers too). Generosity was given to us from the clerk at the hotel who let us check in 5 hours early.  When we crossed the street to eat our lunch, a man and his wife told uswe had a lovely family. The waitress then told us the man picked up the check for our lunch. Wow! I was moved to tears.

“Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:1-2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Scripture again and again invites us to model the generosity of God.  There is an aspect of feasting in Sabbath as well.  I think as I tell this story no one would argue that we deserved a free lunch. No one has told me that when they were diningno one has given them a free lunch. No, as I tell this story, most people are wowed by the man and his wife’s generosity to complete strangers.  They embodied God’s generousity.

Sometimes we can get envious or angry with God’s generosity. Jesus even tells a story about people arguing over the generosity of God.  He ends with the landowner telling the others:

Is it against the law for me to do what I want with my money? Should you be jealous because I am kind to others?’ - Matthew 20:15

Sabbathing or Sabbatical is not something we should argue over but marvel at the pure gift of God’s generous nature. I hope to be able to share this same generosity with someone in the same way.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully heart warming testimony of God’s love revealed through the people you encountered. I have experienced similar things when traveling. It is a refreshing reminder that there are tons of loving and caring people in our world. When we start to be focused on the bad in the world, we need to remember these experiences. When God created man, he himself said,”It is very good”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Inspires me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Holden Part 3 - Worship

"Everything on earth will  worship  you; they will sing your praises, shouting your name in glorious songs.” - Psalm 66:4 Let everyth...