Thursday, May 16, 2019

The joy of the journey is in the ride

The joy of the journey is in the ride.....

This sign hangs in my office above my desk.  It was given to me by members of my congregation, St. Mark's.  They knew how to articulate my sense of adventure.  Today I experienced this in real time.





I took my time riding from the Twin Cities to Two Harbors MN where I will be retreating and reflecting for the next 6 days.  Nicodemus (1998 Kawasaki Concours motorcycle) settled into the leisurely pace.  Normally he feels like a wild dog on a leesh when we take it easy always wanting to climb rpms and throttle.  As we took to the backroads we also passed a milestone.















44,000 miles somewhere in the middle of Minnesota.
Milestones help us remember the past, our history, the road behind us.  I had no idea in December of 2008 when I purchased him that we would have so many adventures.  These numbers are a bit skewed because of our adventure riding to Colorado in 2017 when the speedometer cable broke and didn't register about 2,500 miles.  Milestones are celebrated anyways and for whatever reason.

And there is a great trust in the journey that God is with us wherever we might go.  Scripture is littered with journey; journey of people, journey of promise, journey out of, and journey going to.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.

Don’t assume that you know it all.
    Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
    your very bones will vibrate with life! - Proverbs 3:5-8

Today, I stopped and reflected about the journey of the past, even for a moment.  For the next few days I will reflect on this journey of ours, as pastor and people.  Looking back on the road that brought us together to the time set apart on Our Sabbatical.

As the Old Irish Blessing says:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back. 
May the sun shine warm upon your face; 
the rains fall soft upon your fields 
and until we meet again, 
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holden Part 3 - Worship

"Everything on earth will  worship  you; they will sing your praises, shouting your name in glorious songs.” - Psalm 66:4 Let everyth...