Wednesday, May 8, 2019

All I need is....

I am sitting in Roots Cafe.  This is the place I decided to host open office hours on wednesday mornings a little over 2 years ago.  Today is the last open office hours before Our Sabbtical starts.  On the shelf reads a sign "All I need today is a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus."  Every week I sit in this place I say "amen" to that sign.  It makes me laugh but I also know that it falls short.  It falls short cause I need so much more.  I need people to journey with me, sharing coffee and sharing Jesus.  

It gets me to the part of reflecting on this sabbatical journey we are taking together; people and pastor.  Several times in the gospel accounts, Jesus is found escaping to pray.  "One day soon afterward Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night. At daybreak he called together all of his disciples..." Luke 6:12-13a

There is a rhythm to sabbath.  It is an ongoing movement of prayer, abiding, ceasing, resting, embracing, and feasting. I love that Jesus' prayers always leads him to people.  Jesus goes off to pray, God gives him disciples.  Jesus goes up to pray, God leads him to people in need of healing.  And these people are always changed because of the prayers Jesus lives into.  So I am careful each day to fill in the statement; 'All I need is...."

Today all I need is people to share coffee with me and remind me who I am in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holden Part 3 - Worship

"Everything on earth will  worship  you; they will sing your praises, shouting your name in glorious songs.” - Psalm 66:4 Let everyth...