Sunday, May 19, 2019

This little light of mine

15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. 17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. - Colossians 3:15-17
I missed church today.  It wasn't for a lack of motivation or desire.  No, instead it was the snow that dropped on Two Harbors, MN in the middle of May.  I decided to stay safe instead of risking the ride.  Nicodemus has done snow before but he tells me he is not really fond of it.  What's a pastor to do?
I lit the candle that was given to me by the people of St. Mark's to remember them in prayer.  So I prayed for them as they worshipped, their extended candle lit in the sanctuary.  And I communed with these people in a far off place to pray together.  And I sang, "this little light of mine."  It was quite joyful.  As a preacher, I miss the pulpit.  Instead, I got to listen to God's funny voice through the snow falling to the ground, I rested in the pure grace to feel the spirit's movement by the flickering of this small lighted candle. Finally I remembered the words from Paul to the Colossians above, letting the message about Christ fill our lives, in all of its richness.
The following was a powerful moment in our sabbatical blessing.
PA:  I leave you with this candle.  Light it when you gather for worship each Sunday and when you meet.  Pray for me while I am gone.
C:  We will pray that you return renewed and energized for ministry.
L:  We leave you with this candle.  Carry it with you.  Light it and pray for us while we are apart.  Pray that we will be renewed to serve in God’s name.
AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holden Part 3 - Worship

"Everything on earth will  worship  you; they will sing your praises, shouting your name in glorious songs.” - Psalm 66:4 Let everyth...